What is M7 MBA?
Almost every student in the world who wants to pursue an MBA degree has dreamt of studying in one of the M7 MBA institutes. The terminology ‘M7’ means magnificent or magical 7. The seven business schools that are considered as M7 MBA business schools are –
- Harvard Business School
- Columbia Business School
- MIT Sloan School of Management
- Stanford Graduate School of Business
- University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business
- Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
- Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management
All these business schools offer their students several opportunities to shine in the corporate world. Most of the students graduate from any one of the business schools and get placement all over the world. There is no doubt that these business schools have a lot in common but there are some differences between them. This article is to compare all these business schools in terms of their course structure, fees, application deadline, ranking and few other aspects to give you as an aspiring candidate a better perspective about the M7 MBA business schools.
Costs of all M7 MBA programs
|Name of the Business School||Cost of the Total Course|
|Harvard Business School||204640 USD|
|Columbia Business School||199648 USD|
|MIT Sloan School of Management||196208 USD|
|Stanford Graduate School of Business||210838 USD|
|University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business||193208 USD|
|Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania||200908 USD|
|Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management||186026 USD|
Application deadlines of M7 MBA programs are shown in the table below
|Name of the Business School||Round 1||Round 2||Round 3|
|Harvard Business School||September 8, 2020 (Final Decision on December 10, 2020)||January 5, 2021 ( Final Decision on March 30, 2021)||No 3rd Round|
|Columbia Business School||April 9, 2021 ( Rolling Process on Final Decision)||No 2nd Round||No 3rd Round|
|MIT Sloan School of Management||October 1, 2020 ( Final Decision on December 16, 2020)||January 19, 2021 ( Final Decision on April 2, 2021)||April 12, 2021 ( Final Decision on May 20, 2021)|
|Stanford Graduate School of BusinessUniversity of Chicago’s Booth School of Business||September 24, 2020 ( Final Decision on December 3, 2020)||January 12, 2021 ( Final Decision on March 18, 2021)||April 1, 2021 ( Final Decision on May 20, 2021)|
|Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania||September 15, 2020 (Final Decision on December 16, 2020)||January 5, 2021 ( Final Decision on March 25, 2021)||March 31, 2021 ( Final Decision on May 11, 2021)|
|Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management||September 16, 2020 ( Final Decision on December 9, 2020)||January 6, 2021 ( Final Decision on March 24, 2021)||April 7, 2021 ( Final Decision on May 12, 2021)|
M7 MBA Business School Ranking
According to Forbes magazine, the ranking of the M7 MBA business schools are as follows,University of Chicago’s Booth School of Management
- Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management
- Harvard Business School
- Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania
- Columbia Business School
- MIT Sloan School of Management
Acceptance Rate of M7 MBA Colleges
All these M7 MBA business schools have different acceptance rates.
- Harvard Business School has a low acceptance rate of 11%, which is the 2nd lowest acceptance rate.
- Columbia Business School has an acceptance rate of 17%.
- The acceptance rate of MIT Sloan School of Management is 11.7% slightly higher than Columbia business school.
- Stanford Graduate School of Business has an acceptance rate of 5.1%. This acceptance rate is the lowest of them all.
- University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business acceptance rate is 23.6% which is the highest of all the universities.
- The acceptance rate of Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania is 17%.
- Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management’s acceptance rate is 20.1%. This is the second-highest acceptance rate among all the 7 business schools.
All these business schools have a low acceptance rate and always remain on the top 10 list of business schools that offered an MBA program. The placement record of these 7 business schools has been great throughout the years. So if you match the needs to get into one of the M7 MBA business schools don’t wait too much. Fill the application form today as the time is limited.
With the help of the business management courses offered by all these M7 MBA business schools, you can expand your vision and learn more new business skills to apply in future. The things that you are going to be taught can give you an ample amount of confidence to prove your worth in a business organization and improve your career. Now let’s take a look at all the courses offered by the business schools one by one.
This business school covers a total of 7 aspects of business management. They are – Business Essentials, Leadership and Management, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Strategy, Finance and Accounting, Business in Society and Analytics.
In the Business essentials, subject one can learn about data interpretation to make a decision that can be fruitful for the business organization by studying Credential of Readiness. This is designed in such a way that a student can sharpen your skills in business analysis, financial accounting etcetera. A candidate can also gain fluency in the business language. You will be able to see the world through the analysis and data available and can form business strategies according to that to apply them in the business.
Leadership and Management part will improve your leadership skills and management abilities. You will learn how to bring out the best in your team members by mastering four pillars of leadership. They are decision making, implementation, organization and management changing. You can also master the negotiation ability to get what best for business.
Through disruptive strategies and essential needs of entrepreneurship learning, you can bring life to your innovative ideas. You will be able to build a better framework for financing the new venture of yours.
Strategy, Finance and accounting and Business in society parts will provide you with adequate knowledge to develop your tools and techniques in the way of becoming a purpose-driven business leader. You will also gain the first-hand experience from our experienced faculties about the global business trends and the global economy. The alternative investment ideas will also be a part of the learning process.
Analytics part of the course will provide knowledge about business analytics and data science. After the completion of the course, one will be able to apply the available data to real-world business problems and you can gain familiarity with the concepts of data science.
Columbia Business School
The course offered by the Columbia Business School is divided into eight half-term courses and two full-term courses. The course will give a student an in-depth look at the business sword and will teach the candidate every necessary skill that he or she needs to be successful. The lessons that are going to be taught to train a student to analyse, decide and lead a team.
The first term of courses is also divided into pre-term, first half and second half. In the preterm, the subjects that will be taught are strategy formulation, financial accounting, corporate finance, and managerial economics. In the first half, a student will learn about managerial statistics, marketing, and the global economic environment. The second half has only one subject-business analytics.
A student can select what he or she wants to study from the elective courses in both the preterm and first half of the second term of core courses. The second half consists of only one subject that is operations management.
The total MBA course is designed for 2 years. You will study the following four modules as part of the MIT Sloan School of Management course,
- Leadership with Integrative Management
- Innovation Driven Entrepreneurial Advantage
- Leading in a Global Context
- Leading with Impact
These modules provide a deep insight into the subject. Each module will take six to nine days and in that period, one student will have to complete a project along with other students. In the first semester that is also called the core semester, you and your fellow students will be divided into 6 cohorts. These cohorts are named after a water body like – Baltic, Pacific, Indian etcetera. These cohorts then divided into smaller groups for the rest of the course.
After the first semester, the students have to complete another three semesters. In the MBA course, a student also gets the chance to learn additional things. There are a total of 144 units of electives. Along with the earlier mentioned modules a student can choose elective subjects to study. Some students also opt to write a thesis in their second year.
The additional courses on offer in the MBA include Organizational Processes, Risk Management, and Competitive Strategy and free others. MIT has a great relationship with Harvard, so while you are at MIT, you can also cross-register yourself for the classes in Harvard’s full-time MBA program.
The dual degrees are also on offer. While doing the MBA a student can also complete the Master’s of Science degree to earn from the MIT School of Engineering. MIT Department of Urban Studies and Planning and K
Harvard Kennedy School of Government also offers dual degrees to the aspiring candidates from MIT Sloan.
Stanford Graduate School of Business
The 24-month long MBA course at Stanford Graduate School of Business helps students to become a visionary by providing them with all the substances required to achieve their dream.
The first year is all about learning basic management knowledge and gaining global exposure. The series of courses are designed in such a way that a student can gain insight and have the perspective of a senior manager or a leader. By doing that he or she can see the bigger picture and understand the context of management. You can improve and enhance your leadership style and skills with the help of your leadership coaches. The first year is designed to have only the core course along with one or two electives in winter and spring quarters. In the first year, the global experience portfolio offers numerous opportunities for the students for the exploration of global issues related to business management. These experiences will broaden your vision and change the perspective of tours.
In the autumn quarter, the core courses that are going to be taught are ethics in management, one part of financial management, financial accounting, managerial skills, optimization and simulation modelling. Along with all these, you will also gain the leadership lab experience, about organizational behaviour and also about managing groups and teams.
In the winter and spring quarters, students can choose from a plethora of options to match their interests as their elective subjects. The core courses of these two quarters are –data analysis and decision making, the rest of financial management, human resource management, information management, managerial accounting, and strategic leadership. With these there are courses to teach strategy beyond markets, operations, microeconomics, macroeconomics and marketing.
University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business
The MBA course at the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business has professional and experienced faculties who will challenge and inspire you in every possible way. The course is 21 months long and in that period a strong foundation will be built for you to shine in the competitive world. Once you complete the course and learn the key concepts of leadership to apply them in the real world business problems.
The first thing that the faculties focus on is how to build a better foundation so that you can design the framework of a business idea throughout your career. The first few courses provide you with the toolkit that you need to unlock the insights for future subjects in the course. In the foundation part, you will learn about analytical methods, managerial psychology, financial accounting, statistics and microeconomics.
In the next half, you will learn about how to apply the fundamentals that you have already learned and also our teachers will help you to master your leadership skills. To make you a better leader you will be taught how to influence people, how to make better decisions and a few other things. The topics that are going to be covered in this part are managerial decision making, negotiation, leadership exploration and development, corporate finance, financial strategy, competitive strategy, marketing management, data-driven marketing, pricing strategies, operations management, managerial accounting and analysis, organizations and incentives, leadership capital, macroeconomics, global strategy and economics.
In the second half of the MBA course, a student will have to choose four elective courses and one capstone course based on your interest. Elective courses on offer change almost every year and they are mostly based on advanced and recent topics. Some of these topics are data mining, building a new venture, pricing management, commercializing innovation and many more. In the final quarter, you will have to complete one team-based capstone experience. You can choose either integrated strategic management or global new venture challenge.
The MBA course has six core courses along with some subjects to choose. The flexible structure of the course allows a candidate to prepare for internships and business ventures in the upcoming future. The total core course includes 9.5 credit units that are distributed into two parts. The fixed core has credit units of 3.25 and the flexible core has credits of 6.25.
The fixed core includes leadership courses that teach a student about the foundations of teamwork and leadership. You will also be taught marketing management skills that include analytical concepts like targeting, branding, pricing, distribution and promotion. Our experienced faculties will also teach you about the microeconomics of both basic and advanced level. The course also includes management communication skills both in speaking and writing. There is also a part that includes regression analysis and interpretation of data and statistics.
The flexible core courses will prepare you for the future no matter what your educational background is. It gives the additional flexibility that you need along with the fixed core courses. These flexible course subjects are –Operational information and decisions, Marketing, Communication, Accounting, Corporate Finance, Macroeconomics, Management and Legal Studies and Business Ethics.
There are also elective subjects that you can choose from 200 courses across 10 academic departments. While choosing the electives you can discuss with your trainer to select up to four courses from Pennsylvania’s 11 other schools.
Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management
North-western University’s Kellogg School of Management has both a one-year-long MBA programme and an MBA program of 2 years.
The course will grow your leadership ability. At the business school, you will get a firm grounding in the fundamentals through the growth core MBA curriculum program. There are more than 1000 experiential learning opportunities to learn the best and to test and build your skills to meet the aspirations in your professional career. It will also expose you to the global interconnected marketplace. The business program offers you numerous opportunities and endless experiences to lead confidently in real-world problems.
The following are the core courses that a candidate needs to get the MBA degree. These courses are – Accounting for decision making, Business Strategy, Finance divided into two parts, Business analytics divided into two parts, Marketing management, Microeconomics analysis, Operations management and skills like management leadership.
All these M7 MBA business institutes have different eligibility criteria. An applicant has to match all the criteria depending on the business school he or she is applying for. Let’s take a look at the entire business schools criteria one after the other.
- Harvard Business School requires a GMAT score of 730 on an average and a GPA of 3.71 in the undergraduate course. The candidate needs to have work experience of at least 4.8 years at the minimum age of 27 on an average.
- The average of an applicant in the Columbia Business School should be 28. He or she needs to possess a GMAT score of 717 (average) and a GPA of 3.5. The applicant needs to have work experience of at least 5 years.
- To get selected at MIT Sloan School of Management a candidate needs to secure a GMAT Score of 724 on an average and a GPA of 3.5. Average age needs to be 27 years with experience of 4.8 years.
- The average GPA in the undergraduate score of a student needs to be 3.73 to get selected in the Stanford Graduate School of Business and he or she needs to score 737 on average in the GMAT examination. Average work experience of the candidate should be 4 years. The age of the candidate must be 28 years.
- To be considered as eligible in the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business a candidate must have a GPA of 3.77. The average work experience of the applicant should be 5 years with a GMAT score of 738 on an average. The minimum average age should be 24 years.
- Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania requires the candidate to have a GPA of 3.60 and a GMAT score of 730 on an average. The candidate needs to have 5 years of work experience. The applicant must be aged twenty-seven at least.
- A candidate needs to be 28 years old for applying to the North-western University’s Kellogg School of Management. The GPA of the candidate should be 3.60 and must have a GMAT score of 724. Average years of work experience of the candidate needs to be 5 years.
How to Apply for M7 MBA programs
To apply for the MBA course in any of these M7 MBA business schools a candidate can apply online just by going to the official website of the business school’s official website. To submit the application a candidate needs to fill an online application form with some useful information like name, permanent address, age, educational qualification, work experience and few others.
The official websites of these 7 business schools are –
- Harvard Business School
- Columbia University
- MIT Solan
- Stanford Business School
- Chicago Booth School of Business
- Wharton University
- Kellogg School of Managemment
The admission procedure of M7 MBA is divided into two processes. The first one is the online application along with the documents and the second one is the interview round. An applicant needs to clear both the rounds to be considered as eligible for that particular business school.
- For Harvard Business School a candidate needs to submit a written application along with transcripts of his last educational institution, GMAT or GRE score, Essay that the candidate needs to write, Two letters of recommendation, Resume and non-refundable application fee. If a candidate meets the eligibility criteria then he or she will be called for the interview via Skype. After the interview, an applicant needs to write a post-interview application in the next 24 hours of the interview.
- In the case of the Columbia Business School, the candidate needs to submit the same things required to apply for Harvard MBA program then there will be the interview round. This business school uses the rolling process and the candidates who are not selected in the first round his or her application rolls to the next round automatically.
- To apply at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, a candidate needs to submit an online application along with other documents like a statement of purpose, resume or CV, three letters of reference, GMAT or GRE score and official transcripts with 125 USD as admission fees. These are the only requirements no other documents are needed.
- To be considered as eligible in the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business along with the online application, a candidate needs to submit two letters of recommendation and he or she also needs to answer some essay questions, a professional resume, transcripts. The 250 USD admission fee is not refundable.
- At Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, a candidate needs to give some background information during the online application. Along with that two letters of recommendation, two essays and transcripts need to be submitted. With that, a candidate needs to pay a non-refundable admission fee of 275 USD. After the submission of the application, a candidate will be called for an interview. The interview is nothing but a team-based discussion. They will declare the results post-interview.
- The Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management requires two letters of recommendation, transcripts, GRE or GMAT score along with the essential information about the candidate. An applicant also needs to write an essay about a topic during the application process. He or she needs to submit a non-refundable admission fee during the admission procedure.
All international students who want to apply in any of the M7 MBA business schools and whose native language is not English must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English (PTE). After that, they need to submit the result of any of the retests that they have taken.